Commercial trucking is one of the most vital industries in the United States. According to the latest data from the American Trucking Association (ATA), large trucks move nearly three-quarters of all freight nationwide and gross approximately $790 billion in total revenue each year.
While there are a lot of opportunities in trucking, it is also a complicated industry. Forming a new business is not easy. Here, our Atlanta trucking consulting professionals provide an overview of the most important things you should know about starting a commercial truck company in Georgia.
Your Guide to Launching a Truck Business in Georgia
To start a successful trucking business in Georgia, there are a number of different important steps you need to take. Here is the basic overview of the process to get you started:
- A Business Plan: Unfortunately, a significant percentage of businesses fail within the first two years. A major reason is because too many new business owners lack a comprehensive plan. You need to decide how you plan to form, operate, and grow your business.
- Name, Registration, and Permits: Commercial trucks are regulated at the state and federal level. You need to name/register your company and obtain the appropriate permits and licenses. Among other things, our Georgia trucking consultants can help you with your EIN number. DUNS number. MC/DOT Number. FMCSA filing, Boc-3 filing, and UCR/state permits.
- Financing & Insurance: Most trucking companies need some sort of financing to get off of the ground, whether an investment from a third party or a business loan. Additionally, there are complex rules and regulations regarding insurance coverage. Commercial trucking companies must obtain adequate insurance coverage. Our trucking industry consultants have extensive experience helping entrepreneurs with funding, financing, and insurance.
- Day-to-Day Operations: Great businesses are built on strong foundations. Our consulting team can help you put the right infrastructure in place—from selecting the right entity when forming your business to assistance with operations management.
- Marketing/Advertising: To grow your trucking business, you will need clients. Even the most reliable, cost effective trucking operation in the world is destined to fail if it cannot find customers. We help new trucking companies develop effective marketing & advertising strategies that are properly targeted as their customer base.
Of course, every business faces its own set of challenges. You may have questions about starting a company that are wholly unique to your company. An experienced trucking industry consultant is available to help you get started.
Get Help From a Trucking Industry Consultant in Georgia
At Suivant Consulting, our business consultants have deep experience and expertise helping business people in the trucking industry. If you have questions about how to start a trucking company, we are here to help. Call us at 770-874-9951 or contact us online to learn more about what our team can do for you and your business partners. With a main office in Atlanta, our trucking industry consultants serve businesses and entrepreneurs throughout Georgia, including Fulton County, Cobb County, DeKalb County, Gwinnett County, Rockdale County, and Douglas County.